Join Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Fair Housing Project for a free online webinar about fair housing and the use of criminal background screening when renting or applying to rent. This webinar is designed for tenants and community members who work with tenants. This is a free webinar, but registration is required.
Webinar: Renting with a Criminal Record
January 25, 2023, at 6:00 p.m.
Topics that will be covered:
- Who is protected by the Fair Housing Act?
- What properties are covered?
- What barriers do tenants with criminal records face in the rental market?
- HUD guidance regarding criminal background screening
- What to do if a tenant denied housing based on a criminal background screening?
- Recent cases involving the Fair Housing Act and criminal background screening.
- How do I file a fair housing complaint?
- Who can I contact for help?
Hope Williams, Supervising Attorney, Fair Housing Project of Legal Aid of North Carolina
Michael Manset, Staff Attorney, Fair Housing Project of Legal Aid of North Carolina
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. You may also email us to submit any fair housing questions in advance of the training.
This webinar is sponsored by the Fair Housing Project and Legal Aid of North Carolina. The event is funded in part through a grant under the Fair Housing Initiatives Program with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.