Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Fair Housing Project understands that COVID-19 is a serious threat to the health, safety and well-being of all North Carolinians, but particularly seniors, people with disabilities or other underlying health conditions, and low–income individuals. As of March 18, 2020, LANC staff, including at the Fair Housing Project, are working remotely in an effort to increase social distancing and slow the spread of the virus.
While doing our part to keep physical distance, we want you to know that we are continuing our work assisting persons who have experienced housing discrimination. Our intake number – 855-797-3247 – remains open during regular business hours.
The Fair Housing Project also asks individuals to be observant for any discriminatory actions or statements related to the illness based on race, nationality, ethnicity, disability, religion or any other protected classes.
- Coronavirus doesn’t recognize race, nationality, or ethnicity. While the coronavirus (COVID-19) started in Wuhan, China, having Chinese ancestry –– or any other ancestry –– does not make a person more vulnerable to this illness or more likely to be a carrier.
- Wearing a mask does not mean a person is ill. People wear masks for a variety of reasons, including to avoid pollen and air pollution and for cultural and social reasons. We should not judge someone for wearing a mask or assume they are sick.
- Speak up if you hear, see, or read discriminatory comments. Correct false information and remind the person that prejudiced language and actions make us all less safe. You can report discrimination to the Fair Housing Project by calling 855-797-3247 or emailing the Fair Housing Project by clicking here.
- Persons with disabilities may also need reasonable accommodations in order to remain in their housing or for more time to secure new housing. If you need assistance, please contact us.
- Residents of HUD-owned and managed property can find additional resources on the HUD coronavirus page.
- Avoid on-line or email scams selling “cures” and ensure you receive fact-based information regarding COVID-19/Coronavirus by accessing the CDC’s coronavirus page.